Friday, November 19, 2010

Aisha's Confession: Sometimes, Mom Needs a Night Out

My fierce and cosmopolitan mommy friends: left to right: Aisha  (mother to Lady C, age 17 months), Nay (mother to Lady L, age 2 years), Ericka (mother to Sir J, age 7 years and Sir C, age 5 years) and Annamaria (mother Lady S, age 15 months)


I take the responsibility of being a cosmopolitan mother quite seriously - which means I spend a lot of time planning, traveling to different areas, exploring different items and trying different products. While on that journey I am also changing pampers, making food, running after a toddler and dancing along to the Fresh Beat Band or Yo Gabba Gabba. That is my life. And frankly, I love it. I would not say that I was a party girl before I had Lady C but I spent a great deal of time with my friends. I have now replaced weekend nights out dancing with weekdays at the museum or nights trying new recipes and it is creating a better me... but sometimes MOM NEEDS A NIGHT OUT. Minus baby, minus hubby and just embracing girl power. I ADORE my girlfriends... adore. Quite frankly I feel bad for women who say "I don't have any female friends"... eek. But I am blessed to be able to share time and recharge with my friends and not feel guilty. As parents we often feel guilty for not making every event or aspect of our lives about our children but I believe to be truly "cosmopolitan" you need to be a full person - your full and happy self and that might mean grabbing your buddies for a nice time away. 

Last night, I had a recharge! My friend Paula celebrated her 31st birthday and we gathered a great new establishment called SkyRoom. Great place, great food, great drinks and wonderful atmosphere. If you ever are looking for somewhere to go - try it out and tell them I sent you. Ok --- don't tell them I sent you THEY HAVE NO IDEA WHO I AM!! LOL
Anyway, I invited my mommy friends along so they could enjoy as well. Yes - dare I say it... I mixed mommy friends and non-mommy friends! It can be done! And we had a wonderful time. Did the mommy friends spend time showing off pictures and stories about the "cute" things their little ones were doing? Yes. Did we also leave earliest because we knew we would be up soon with our little ones? Yes. Did we have a fab time? ABSOLUTELY.

I confess, I needed the time away
I confess, I enjoyed the time away
I confess that I feel more cosmopolitan because I enjoyed "friend" time
I confess that my friends encouraged me to write this blog

Love you ladies - friends since 1993
HAPPY BIRTHDAY PAULA!




Aisha

0 comments:

Post a Comment